Thursday, December 31, 2009

Looking Back

The years 2000-2009 made up my 5th decade of life. For me (and probably for the entire world), more changes happened during that time than any other decade so far. But every single one brought me here -- to the last day of the first decade of the 21st century.

Some of the changes affected all of us as a people: 9-11, the internet, global warming, Y2K, our inclusion into several wars overseas, the election of our first black president, the 2nd "great depression", swine flu and mad cow disease, terrorism, the tsunami in India, Katrina, pyramid schemes, cell phones, globalization, etc.

Other changes between 2000 and 2009, of course, were more personal. And by personal, I mean they affected me and my loved ones. I believe that every change, from the tiniest to the largest, happens for a reason. I spent this morning making snap-shots in my brain about the big changes that occurred in my little world during the last decade.

My kids grew up into adulthood: yay! They are smart and funny and healthy.

My sister's family had a devastating house fire: the good news is that everyone got out alive, and they have moved into their newly rebuilt home.

Charlotte, my goofy black German shepherd, came bounding into my life. She has proven to be an awesome roommate.

My nephew suffered a life-altering spinal injury. Yet, he has dug deep to find strength and bravery, and everyone gets the blessing of witnessing this.

After 20 years, my marriage ended in unexpected divorce. Although a difficult adjustment initially, the end result is a new and wonderful life.


Looking back helps me look forward, since I can't choose where I'm going if I don't know where I've been. My reactions to previous changes (both tiny and large) have surprised me at times, but I figure looking for the good is better than clinging solely to the bad. Perhaps this happens if we are lucky enough to reach five decades.

And while technically, the decade doesn't end until 12-31-10, I don't care. I am going to consider tomorrow to be the first day of the second decade of the 21st century -- which will mark the beginning of my 6th decade. Woo Hoo! I can't wait.

No comments: